Dazzlerman1000’s excellent video on Youtube.com, Malawi – Meet The Country
- Malawi is the 7th poorest country in the world.
- It has a population of approximately 12,5 million; of those 750,000 are orphans, a figure increasing by 65,000 a year.
- More than 200 people die of AIDS each day.
- Life expectancy in 1997 was 41; now it is 36.
- 48% of children in Malawi are chronically malnourished.
- In the last decade maternal deaths in childbirth have increased by 100%. This figure is the third highest in the world, behind Sierra Leone and Afghanistan.
- One in four children die before the age of five.
- 7% of the population have electricity.
- 42% of the population are illiterate.
- 3.4% of the population complete secondary education.
- 1% of the population go to University.
- Every 30 seconds a child dies of malaria in sub-Saharan Africa.